Swallows are a very common bird in North America and there are numerous different species of them. They love to congregate in large colonies and nest on and around buildings, so their droppings typically cause the most damage. Call Critter Control of Cape Cod if you have a swallow problem!
Keeping Swallows Away in Cape Cod
Swallows are notorious for using a building as a nesting area; some will nest in chimneys, while others, like the barn swallow, enjoy utilizing roofs. Cliff swallows require overhead cover and flat supportive surfaces to build their preferred nests, which make building eaves prime roosting locations for the birds. Depending on what type of swallow you are dealing with depends on what environment you live in — some like water areas, others like farms or even areas with cliffs. Once our technicians are able to decide what type of swallow you are dealing with they will be able to figure out the best course of removal and prevention, which may include:
- Property owners can employ several exclusion methods to control swallow populations.
- Porcupine wires, for example, can be placed on favorite roosting spots to keep the birds away.
- Reducing insect populations and removing standing water in the area also proves helpful. Leaving problems alone only invites more birds to join colonies, though they are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which makes action difficult.
- Habitat modification
Common Swallow Problems
- Problems typically stem from the swallow's proclivity to form large groups called colonies.
- Cars and farm equipment are often damaged by swallow droppings, and farmers also report significant livestock feed losses when the birds form large colonies nearby.
- The birds do not typically physically threaten humans, though mothers will swoop to stave off predators that get too close to their offspring.
The safest and legal way to regulate swallow populations is to call professional removal services. Critter Control teams stand ready to use our integrated pest management approach. This entails surveying areas in order to exclude and remove swallows from private property. Our services keep citizens free from fines and the risk of contracting deadly diseases.
Critter Control of Cape Cod can help you get rid of swallow problems. Call today: (508) 690-0076Request a Quote