That horrible skunk odor? Yea we hate it too. If you sense it around your house, it's a good indicator that skunks are living on or near your property. Call Critter Control of Cape Code today for immediate skunk removal and exclusion services.
Most all homeowners are familiar with the skunk, if only the smell alone. The distinctive odor is the skunk's defense mechanism and is what makes it unique from other animals. Skunks are usually only active at night, so if you spot one during the day, we suggest giving a critter removal service a call. If you'd like more information on skunk behavior or if you'd like to schedule an inspection, call us at 508.690.0076 or leave us a note here.
GETTING RID OF SKUNKS
- There are certain prevention methods you can install on your property that will discourage skunks from coming near your home, but more effort is often required.
- Limited access to food sources and water, as well as sealing cracks in building foundations.
- Doing this by securing trash bins, limiting rodent populations, and blocking entry to pet and livestock feeds.
- Habitat modification, like keeping your property clutter-free, is another good option for keeping skunks away.
Common Skunk Problems
- Nourishment available in areas of human activity compels skunks to live under buildings, decks, and patios, as well as digging dens in yards allowing them easy access to the resources provided by humans.
- These scavengers eat just about anything, including rodents, garden vegetation, grubs, and other insects, and often venture into trash bins for leftover food.
- Aside from the damage caused by digging, and scavenging for food, skunks cause the most damage when they feel threatened and in many cases, at that point it is too late.
- Sprayed from the anal glands, skunk secretions cause horrible odors and temporary blindness.
- With this defense, skunks can hit predators and people up to 10 feet away.
- Although skunks are detested for their odor, they also damage landscapes, plants, and structures when they dig for food.
- One of the most common carriers of rabies, skunks are also known transmitters of canine distemper, hepatitis, tularemia, and Q-fever.
Full-Service Skunk Removal & Prevention
Landowners risk the possibility of being sprayed when they approach skunks. Mishandling can also lead to bites, which require immediate professional medical attention. Instead of attempting removal, property owners should call Critter Control of Cape Cod to assist with any skunk problems. We employ only expert-level pest professionals to ensure jobs are done the correct and safest way possible for both property owners and the animals.
We can help you get rid of skunk problems! Call the Critter Control of Cape Cod office today: 508.690.0076