The majority of Cape Cod residents are familiar with the skunk. Its infamous defense mechanism is pretty recognizable. The distinctive odor is the skunk's main line of defense and is what makes it such a unique nuisance animal. Skunks are primarily nocturnal, so there's a great chance you won't even see it (you'll likely smell it, though!). If you do spot a skunk during the day, we recommend giving Critter Control of Cape Cod a call. For more information on how to identify a skunk, or if you'd like to schedule a skunk home inspection, call our office or leave us more information on your skunk problem here.
Skunk Removal in Cape Cod
- There are numerous techniques you can implement on your property that discourage skunks from coming onto your property. In the majority of cases, more than these techniques are required to keep skunks away for good.
- Skunks are clever and perseverant; these critters will try their hardest to make their home on the property if they find it appealing.
- Limiting access to water sources and all types of food and sealing foundation cracks is a great place to start.
- Securing trash cans, keeping rodent populations under control, and blocking entry to pet/livestock can all keep the chances of a skunk infestation down.
- Modifying your property by removing piles of brush and making other similar aesthetic changes is another option.
Common Skunk Problems
- Food is available in human-inhabited areas and it encourages skunks to make their homes under patios, decks, buildings, and other outbuildings. They will also dig dens in yards to find food.
- These scavengers eat just about anything, including rodents, garden vegetation, grubs, and other insects, and often venture into trash bins for leftover food.
- Aside from the damage caused by digging, and scavenging for food, skunks cause the most damage when they feel threatened and in many cases, at that point, it is too late.
- Sprayed from the anal glands, skunk secretions cause horrible odors and temporary blindness.
- With this defense, skunks can spray predators and people up to 10 feet away.
- Although skunks are detested for their odor, they also damage landscapes, plants, and structures when they dig for food.
- One of the most common carriers of rabies, skunks are also known transmitters of canine distemper, hepatitis, tularemia, and Q-fever.
Full-Service Skunk Removal & Prevention
Landowners risk the possibility of being sprayed when they approach skunks. Mishandling can also lead to bites, which require immediate professional medical attention. Instead of attempting removal, property owners should call Critter Control of Cape Cod to assist with any skunk problems. We employ only expert-level professionals to ensure jobs are done the correct and safest way possible for both property owners and the animals.
We can help remove skunks for good. Call the Critter Control of Cape Cod office today!Request a Quote