Coyotes, a member of the dog family and relatives of foxes, can be found across the United States, Mexico, and western Canada. Coyotes are prominent in the Cape Cod area and have been for nearly 40 years. These wild dogs are fairly reserved when it comes to interacting with people, and they will not get into human-inhabited areas unless they have food sources. Coyotes' diet includes rabbits, mice, trash, and seed from birdfeeders. Though they are fairly shy, coyotes are not a wildlife animal you want near your loved ones, pets or livestock. Call our Cape Cod coyote removal technicians today at 508.690.0076 or contact us HERE for more information on coyote removal!
Coyote Problems in Cape Cod
- Coyotes are typically only active at night or in the early morning where humans are present. Their unique high-pitched howls are often heard in the night.
- Usually found in rural areas, coyotes sometimes make their way onto Cape Cod properties like pastures, fields, backyards, or even garbage dumps in search of food.
- In rural areas, coyotes' destruction of livestock is a major concern. Their killing of sheep, cattle, goats, chickens, and turkeys results in significant losses for the agricultural industry each year.
- Coyote attacks are very rare and result in little to no serious bodily damage when they do happen. However, coyotes are carriers of dangerous diseases and parasites that can endanger humans and animals, including distemper, parvovirus, mange mites, and fleas.
- Coyotes are also rabies carriers and a bite can be dangerous.
Coyote Control & Safety
Several effective measures may be taken to keep coyotes away from livestock and to protect homes. Using a combination of several coyote prevention methods has been proven to be most effective in coyote prevention.
- Installing fences can be useful, so long as they have overhangs at the top and barbed wire along the bottom. Coyotes are talented & springy jumpers, known to easily scale fences 8+ feet high and to burrow under unsecured fencing.
- Creatures like guard dogs, donkeys, or llamas as protectors of livestock can be effective against coyote attacks, but whenever possible, be sure to herd animals into enclosed spaces at night.
- As with all wildlife, eliminating food sources (small prey animals like mice and rabbits) will greatly keep coyote populations down near your Cape Cod home.
Professional Coyote Trapping & Removal in Cape Cod
We do not recommend that you approach wild coyotes—although they share physical traits with dogs, coyotes are wild animals and will bite if they feel threatened. Cape Cod homeowners should always allow trained wildlife professionals, like the technicians at Critter Control of Cape Cod, to handle any coyote problems. Critter Control of Cape Cod's coyote experts are available to help manage and eliminate unwanted coyote problems.
We can help you get coyotes off your property. Call Critter Control of Cape Cod today: 508.690.0076.Request a Quote